Wednesday 4 February 2015

Masala Zone, Covent Garden

Grand Vegetarian Thai

Last Wednesday night Becks and I met with my sister and her husband at Masala Zone in Covent Garden for a late exchange of Christmas presents over dinner. Dishoom has taken the mantle as the most popular Indian in Covent Garden, but with queues there reaching stupid proportions and a no booking policy for small groups we gave Masala Zone a go.

Speaking to people in the office, thalis (a meal of small dishes) seemed to be the dish of choice. The last thali I had was on the rooftop of a restaurant over looking the Taj Mahal. The location, friendly service, tasty food and amazing value of India was going to take some beating.

I started by ordering a chaas which was advertised as a low fat lassi. What arrived was nothing like a low fat mango lassi that I had envisaged / hoped for. It was a relatively thin yoghurt drink with a heavy dose of cumin and coriander. It took a few sips to adjust my expectations and then I enjoyed it.

As a main course I ordered the grand vegetarian thali. You are allowed to select one curry for the thali and I chose the paneer curry.

If I'm honest the food wasn't outstanding, but it's a solid option in Covent Garden if you want reasonably priced food and quick service. I'd happily go back.

Masala Zone
48 Floral Street
Covent Garden
London
WC2E 9DA

Masala Zone Covent Garden on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.