Monday 29 April 2013

Restaurant Review: London Particular, New Cross (Revisited)

 
London Particular Dip Plate

When I had dinner with my friend Victoria a couple of months ago we got onto the topic of local restaurants. We agreed that while Brockley has an improving local restaurant and café scene, the choices are solid rather than standout. With the odd exception, Brockley doesn't seem to be blessed with same café culture that I remember fondly from Sydney.

I boldly ventured that The London Particular was my favourite local restaurant. As Vics hadn't been we made a date, or rather a double date, for dinner last Saturday.

I wasn't feeling any pressure until we walked to the restaurant and then it suddenly occurred to me that I'd look a bit silly if she and Joe didn't like it. Thankfully The Particular didn't let me down. Their evening menu contains the same fresh, inventive, tasty and good value dishes that I've enjoyed at brunch before.

Between the four of us we managed to sample most of the menu. My favourites were the fresh and zingy pea and broadbean dip from the dip plate. I didn't expect to enjoy the warm Hispe cabbage with lemon and chilli as much as I did.

The nettles with wild garlic, yogurt and barley was ordered out of intrigue. I loved the punch of the wild garlic on the night, but when you can still taste it the next day, you know it might have been overdone. The warm almond and plum tart I had for dessert was pretty special too.

At £25 a head, including drinks and service, dinner was an awesome value. The London Particular could easily hold its own in Sydney. But I'm pleased it isn't in Sydney, I prefer it right down the road in New Cross.

Oh, and I still want their large share table for my dining room.

Hot chips with chilli yogurt

Winter slow with a honey mustard dressing

Hispe cabbage, lemon, chilli

 Crown prince squash, sauteed raddichio, canellini beans, rosemary crumbs

Nettles, wild garlic, yogurt, barley

Onglet, beetroot, green gram, mustard leaves

Sticky pork ribs with pickled fennel

Affogato

Almond and plum tart

London Particular
399 New Cross Road
New Cross
SE14 6LA
London Particular on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Is that garlic I smell? Just kidding. As much as I like a bit of garlic, I loathe smelling and still tasting it the following day. All in all it sounds like a great place for a good feed!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.