Thursday 11 October 2012

Lewisham Arthouse Open Weekend


Last weekend I popped round the corner to the Lewisham Arthouse Exhibition having discovered it was taking place during the London Open House.

While in Sydney I went to the annual exhibition at the Lennox St Studios which I really enjoyed. The artists there put real effort into their show with lots of work on display and they were always on hand to talk about their art. I was hoping for more of the same.

Sadly the Lewisham event didn't have the same vibe. This might be a little harsh, but it felt like the artists hadn't put their best foot forward. The majority of the studio spaces were open, but there were quite a few which were shut. Of the studios that were open, several had art work that wasn't very current and others just didn't have much at all.

There were some highlights. I liked a couple of mosaics by Janine Nelson (I think she could make a mean house sign if I ever find anywhere to buy!) and admired the works of a couple of other artists.

Stumbling round the Arthouse website I noticed that the studios are £5.20 per sq foot per year to rent, inclusive of all bills. That really is cheap! I knew a couple of the artists at Lennox St in Sydney and they were all struggling to pay their rent and earn a living from art, hence why they put such energy into the show. It was a great way to make some money. I'm probably drawing all the wrong conclusions, but with rent so cheap, I'm wondering if the Lewisham artists are under the same pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.